When you are downloading data from Datastream, sometimes you get errors. Unfortunately they are not very clear. Here we tried to make a list of errors and the reasons why they occur.
$$”ER”, E100, INVALID CODE OR EXPRESSION ENTERED
- The combination serie – datatype doesn’t exist
Example: downloading P for an index (P only exists for Equities)
- Requesting a static datatype in a time series request
Example: the combination of an equity index and the datatype P
- Changing the currency for ratio’s
Example: requesting market to book value (MTBV) in a specific currency
$$”ER”, E100, ACCESS DENIED
- The requested data isn’t part of our subscription
Example: requesting non-bold annual or quarterly report items from WorldScope. See this post. The solution: use the Thomson One Banker Excel add-in to download this data instead of Datastream.
$$”ER”, 2361, NO DATA AVAILABLE
- The requested serie didn’t exist in the requested time period.
Example: requesting the stock price of Google from 1/1/2000 until 1/1/2001
$$”ER”, E601, DATA FOR … CANNOT BE RETRIEVED AT REQUESTED FREQUENCY
- You are downloading for example quarterly data, but this item (…) is available on a yearly basis and there are other items in the request that are available on a quarterly basis.