When you need a list of companies or stocks in a particular industry, and your startpoint is Datastream, then what are your options?
- Via the internet version of Datastream Navigator
In the Explore option you can choose Equities > a country and then you get a list by industry. This list is based on the sector level of the ICB classification
- Via Find Series in the Datastream Excel Add-in
- The Explore option there has the same as in the internet version of Datastream Navigator
- In the Criteria Search option you can choose Equities. One of the search criteria is Sector – also based on the ICB classification.
The advantage is that you can combine this with other search criteria – you are not limited to one particular country as in the Explore option.
When you already have a list of company codes compatible with Datastream (DS Codes, DS Mnemonics, ISINs, SEDOLs) than you can request other industry codes in a Static Request.
- SIC – the source of this item is Worldscope. Worldscope gives up to 8 SIC codes per company, so in Datastream you can select SIC Code 1, SIC code 2 etc. In your output you will only see the SIC code, not a description.
- ICB – you can request the industry, supersector, sector and subsector levels from the ICB classification – both the code and the name/description. In the list of datatypes select the codes that start with ICB, the ones that start with FTSL are not available to us.